We are seeking a part-time (20-25 hours) Communications, Marketing & Program Intern for Summer 2017. This internship will focus on digital media, marketing, developing written content, supporting event-specific marketing needs, as well as various program coordination needs of the organization.
This internship is an excellent opportunity for a capable and committed student to practice and refine real-world communication and marketing skills, help build the foundation of a new nonprofit, and participate in a movement to engage Indiana women in civic and political life in ways, and to an extent, that they have never before been engaged.
Most important, is that you have a willingness to learn new tools, grow your existing skills, and work hard at figuring it out, not that you can check every box listed below at the outset. We are looking for patience, a true desire to learn, an appreciation for the “build-the-plane-as-you-fly-it” nature of a start-up nonprofit and a true passion for the mission of Women4Change Indiana!
- Proficiency with common digital media platforms and visual design tools, such as Eventbrite, Squarespace, Facebook, Twitter and MailChimp. Experience with the VAN membership database is a plus. Most important - being nimble, willing and able to learn to use tools on this list you may now know yet.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail - being thorough and accurate.
- Organized approach - an ability to prioritize and follow through on projects.
- Values efficiency, integrity and follow-through.
- A helpful, flexible and proactive disposition. Sometimes you will be working closely as a team member, at other times you will have the direction and instruction you need to work independently.
Women4Change is a rapidly evolving, start-up nonprofit. The list of responsibilities below will give you a good sense of what you’ll be doing. But, it is not an exhaustive list. In our intern, we hope for a nimble and adaptive partner.
- Website maintenance & improvement.
- Administrative functions for all W4CI Facebook pages.
- Content curation for digital media platforms.
- Developing marketing collateral.
- Help planning a media & marketing monthly calendar.
- Communications to support specific events, programs, volunteer initiatives and the work of the new district-level chapters we are establishing.
- Helping develop guidelines and protocols for various communications functions to promote organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- More specific responsibilities will be developed in concert with our communications volunteers, who are professionals in the field. With their guidance, we will formulate and supervise weekly or bi-weekly work plans for your time.
- Position duration is end May-August 2017. Exact start/end dates negotiable, but we request a 10 to 12-week commitment. This internship may have the potential to become a year-long position for the right candidate.
- Open to Juniors and Seniors with strong communications and marketing backgrounds. Previous experience in the communications, marketing and/or nonprofit fields is helpful.
- Position may qualify for course credit, depending on Departmental requirements.
- Position will be 20-25 hours / week. Exact weekly schedule to be discussed. Occasional additional evening and weekend assistance required to support certain programs and events. This is part of the experience you’ll gain with Women4Change.
- Supervision will be led by current communications team members (from a technical perspective) and by Sujata Barai Chugh, Policy & Program Consultant (from an operational perspective).
- We offer $10 / hour, with a total stipend for the duration of the position not to exceed $3,000. The intern will work on a 1099 (contractor) basis, and will be paid by check at regular intervals based on the number of hours worked.
- We expect our intern will end her summer with incredible hands-on, real-life experience with an emerging, high-profile nonprofit in our state and with introductions to incredible female community leaders in our state. You will have honed critical communications and marketing skills and have played a central role in helping to build a movement of Hoosier women who have risen to new levels of civic and political engagement!
- This internship will be based out of our office inside the Interchurch Center, 1100 W. 42nd St. (near the Christian Theological Seminary and Butler University). You will need to use your own laptop, but we will have a color printer in the office.
- All applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and short writing sample (no more than 3 pages) to Sujata Barai Chugh